Saturday, January 26, 2008

Overheard at School


This story is one of my favorites. It has changed the way I spell. It makes me smile. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.




One sunny afternoon on the playground one of my kiddos (I was teaching 1st at the time) ran up to me to tattle inform me of a grevous breach in conduct of another student. "STANLEY SAID THE "K" WORD" was shouted at me as though I was across the playground and not standing right beside her. I thought, "The K word?????" Finally I had to ask, "What K word?" The child looked around, cupped her hands around her mouth and in a stage whisper aimed up at me said,"You know, K.....R.....A....P." She was staring at me with wide eyes waiting for me to DO SOMETHING. It was one of those times I had to turn away to keep from smiling in the face of true drama.

9 comments:

Elaine said...

Kould have been worse!

Anonymous said...

How kute! I guess we know she learned to spell phonetically instead of by sight words since she has probably never seen the word. She did pretty good.

Mrs. G. said...

Holy krap. I'm not sure I could have held myself together.

Susan said...

I love that story it reminds me of how Kindergartenrs spell favorite~"fart"! Have a great weekend!

Paulie said...

That's a jewel!

quintarantino said...

Gee... trickery word that is... isn´t it?

Willard said...

That is an excellent story! It reminds me of a fellow worker years ago, who was supposed to label a dust pan with the building name where it was supposed to be kept. (this was a school campus and the building was the elementary school) He spelled "elementary" as "elmamtry". The superintendent of schools was witness to the proceedings and shook his head in disbelief and said, " I can't believe we graduated people like that!" (The worker had just graduated from high school in that district the previous spring)

I also enjoyed your sky watch photos as well.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Well you know she's getting phonics instruction!

Jackie said...

I do love 'school stories'! My regret is that I didn't keep a journal of all those "kute" things that happened...plus...some that weren't so kute!